Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Teaching and Learning with Skype in the Classroom


The iLearn Technology blog recently posted a feature on the usage of Skype in the classroom.  This is an idea I certainly had not thought of!  I learned that there is even a Skype classroom directory available on the Skype webpage.  Additionally, Skype maintains Facebook and Twitter pages devoted to the development of Skype as a classroom tool for teaching and learning.  The Facebook page tells of how a class in California was able to Skype with a class in Singapore.  This example makes it appear that Skype can serve as a great way to connect students to other cultures.  However, I know that my school district has heavily regulated web usage.  I cannot even log in to my Gmail account at school.  Therefore, I would imagine sites such as Skype are also blocked.  Although, I am sure contact with the Technology Department could assist in having this resource made accessible.  The Twitter page states that Skype in the Classroom can be utilized to teach and learn English.  Skype’s education directory was not launched until November, so this is still a very new curricular tool.  It will be interesting to see the many ways in which it is utilized and if it proves to be a successful teaching and learning resource.  I imagine the opportunities will be endless, not only for those in the elementary and secondary education setting, but also for those students and teachers in higher education!

No comments:

Post a Comment