Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Cutting Edge...and Handwriting Trains the Brain!


        It appears the iLearn Technology blog really stays on the cutting edge of instructional technology.  The creator recently began a virtual classroom, which can be viewed at the following link: http://www.wix.com/ktenkely/virtualclassroom .  The classroom is for students in 3rd – 8th grade, and the course content entails using online tools to create digital stories.  This sounds like a really interesting concept, and I am sure this will soon grow into a commonplace method of instruction for younger students.  I only wish I could actually enroll in the course to see how it all works!  Through this blog, I also recently learned about a program called Flixtime.  This program allows for the creation of 60 second slideshows.  The blog’s author states that this program is useful for students to illustrate science projects, create vocabulary presentations, make timelines, etc.  This is definitely something I could see myself utilizing in my classroom!

         A posting on ITForum led me to read an article entitled How Handwriting Trains the Brain.  Apparently handwriting is a good cognitive exercise not only for children but also adults.  The article’s author noted that handwriting no longer holds the prestige it once did due to an increased use of electronic communication that does not require handwriting.  I was not surprised to read that statement!  I know that I would much rather type anything than write it with a pen or pencil.  A study done at Indiana University showed that students who actually wrote letters instead of merely looking at them had enhanced brain activity.  The author went on to discuss the positives associated with handwriting, with an emphasis on neat, legible handwriting.  The iPhone now even has apps that utilize handwriting.   In my own classroom, I frequently share with my students my expectation for neat handwriting.  This article certainly reaffirmed the importance of my continuing to do so!

3 comments:

  1. I have seen a tremendous reduction in teaching handwriting in elementary schools. By the time I get them in middle school, I wonder how they made it this far not knowing how to draw letters correctly.

    In the old days, we were shown precisely how to draw a letter by following the arrows. Now I guess they're just given a picture of the letter and told to duplicate it however they can. That's the way it seems from what I'm seeing by sixth graders.

    There are several research articles on the benefits of actual handwriting, but when the school psychologist tells parents that handwriting isn't important when a student can simply learn to type, I cringe and keep my mouth shut.

    Maybe I'll just start speaking up about this and not let people blow off handwriting as a skill and an art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right that there is LITTLE (if any) handwriting instruction going on in 2nd grade and beyond. It is quite unfortunate. However, they (the powers that be...on all levels) are constantly adding time for this (Math, Reading) and time for that (Math, Reading). So, I find it very difficult to fit it all in...especially handwriting! There is a great need for instruction in this area, especially considering the number of students I have who are still reversing b's and d's. Another 2nd grade teacher was sharing with me the other day that her students were in absolute disbelief when she told them that no letter started from the bottom. So, yes, we are failing at this on the elementary level!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I'm sorry I didn't see this post sooner, I would have loved to have you "peek" in on my virtual classroom...I hope to have another in the new year, you are welcome to join us then!

    ReplyDelete