Monday, November 22, 2010

So, what do eighteen wheelers and web-based e-mail accounts have in common?

The IT blogging community is showing signs of slowing down a bit, which I propose is due to the upcoming holiday season!  However, my favorite blog, iLearn Technology is still going strong with many new resources.  Usually the resources are ones that I can utilize with my students.  However, last week, the blog’s author posted a link to a Google book entitled 20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web.  This would not be a resource I would utilizedwith my students (Although the blog has suggestions for integrating this resource into the curriculum, it appears too advanced for my 2nd graders.); however, it was enlightening nevertheless!  This eBook provides an insight into the history and basic workings of the Internet.  Perhaps the best part of the book is the touch of humor that helps illustrate principles of the workings of the Internet.  For example, the author stated that even if an eighteen wheeler ran over one’s laptop, the web-based e-mail program would still be safe and accessible from any other computer with Internet access.  I would probably be heartbroken if an eighteen wheeler ran over my laptop; however, it is nice to know that our e-mail accounts are “safely” tucked away on the Internet no matter the catastrophes that take place to or within our computers!  The eBook can be viewed at http://www.20thingsilearned.com/.  I should also note that I was previously unaware that Google had jumped on the eBook bandwagon, although I am certainly not surprised!  I am waiting on Google to take over the world!
In my last blog post, I mentioned Study Jams, a resource posted on iLearn Technology.  The blog’s author asked for readers to comment on how they thought this resource could be utilized in classroom instruction.  I posted the following comment on the blog:
“This looks like a great resource that will be a wonderful reinforcement for the Math instruction already occurring in my classroom. We do “Math Workshops” each week to reinforce concepts. I plan to set up a computer workshop with some of the Addition/Subtraction topics in the very near future. This should be a good independent activity for the student.
Also, due to our schools increased focus on Math, our Science instructional time appears to be reduced this year (since we integrate it with reading). So, I think the States of Matter activities (especially the Karaoke component!) will be very helpful in ensuring I cover all of the key concepts associated with this topic of study! I can use it with my SmartBoard as a whole group activity. My students love music, and we should never forget what a powerful teaching and learning tool music can be! Karaoke can be reading, science, and music all in one!”
The blog’s author responded and agreed that it was a great resource for teaching multiple areas of the curriculum at one time.  We have had many “extras” at school the past two weeks.  However, I am still looking forward to implementing this website as a tool for teaching and learning upon returning from our Thanksgiving Break.  There appear to be so many quality, readily available resources out there.  I find it to be a shame that so many educators are unaware of these resources!  I think a member of a school district’s technology department could have a full time job simply locating, evaluating, and sharing these resources with the teachers.  Since this is not happening in my school district, being a part of the IT Blogging Community has been a great way to get exposure to effective, new resources!

No comments:

Post a Comment